BRITISH CANOEING 3 STAR OPEN CANOE TRAINING AND ASSESSMENT COURSES
Skilfully delivered by owner Paul Bull, UKCC Level 3 Coach, this course aims to equip the paddler with the necessary personal paddling and river reading skills in order that they can make appropriate decisions, select the correct skill and carry them out in an open water and moving water environment.
The course will be run over 3 days and include a river journey on day 3. This award will be assessed on a continuous basis with each day being a training day and if candidates are up to the required standard at the end of the two days, and have the required assessment prerequisites, then they will also pass the assessment. The days normally run from 9am until 5pm (depending on time of year).
If you have a good level of experience then a 2 day option is also available.
£160 per person for the three days or £120 for the two day course ( both excluding British Canoeing certification fees).
Pre-requisites - Training:
Candidates should hold the 2 Star or be confident that their ability is of a similar standard.
Pre-requisites - Assessment:
Candidates should have log book or provide evidence of at least:
- 3 journeys of about 10km or 4Hrs, one of which should be in an open water environment and 1 on a river trip
- A traditional open canoe suitable for the remit of the award and the assessment tasks, paddled solo and tandem, and a suitable paddle
- Dry suit or wetsuit and cag that will keep you warm throughout the day.
- Throw line and rescue knife
- 5m tape and karabiner
- Canoe Pole
- Food and warm drink (to be taken on the river)
- Dry land clothing suitable for outdoor use.
It is expected that candidates are able to perform all skills on both sides, on moving water:
- Personal Paddling skills
- Lifting, Carrying and Launching / Landing
- Efficient forward paddling
- Efficient reverse paddling
- Turns whilst on the move
- Moving sideways both static and on the move
- Supporting both static and on the move
- Entering, crossing and exiting a simple flow
- Painter use (launching, shallows, securing to a jetty etc)
- Rescue Skills
- Capsize, swim and self rescue
- Deep water rescue
- Towing and use of a towline
- Safety, Leadership and Group Skills
- Personal Risk Management
- Awareness of others
- Paddling a section of open water in wind conditions of Beaufort Force 3 as part of a led group
- Hypothermia / First Aid
- Group Awareness
British Canoeing certification fees:
If you are doing the assessment and you want the British Canoeing certificate then there is an additional charge payable.
If you normally carry other kit on the river, not listed above, please bring it along for the group to discuss.
Activity Dates, Availability and Booking:
Click on the activity dates below for more details, availability and details of how to book your place. Additional activities are run by arrangement. Please contact us for more information or to arrange an additional date.